The UND Chamber Orchestra is the major orchestral ensemble at UND.
It provides a variety of performance opportunities, including regular string orchestra concerts on campus, yearly symphonic concerts, and regional and international touring.
The Strings Program is directed by Dr. Alejandro Drago, Assistant Professor of Violin and Viola and Director of Strings/Orchestra. Students of Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass may audition for the UND Chamber Orchestra; they may also register for private instruction, and chamber music courses. Woodwind, Brass and Percussion instrument players are accepted on a program-by-program basis, and are welcome to join us for especial projects.
Rehearsal Time and Place
Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:30-5:30 p.m., Josephine Campbell Recital Hall
- A week before the beginning of classes in August, you will find a sign-up sheet on or near Hughes Fine Arts room 208.
- On the sign-up sheet, this time will be divided into 8- or 6-minute timeslots.
- Put your name in one of those, and show up ready to play two or three minutes before your time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who needs to audition?
All players that had not been taking regular lessons (either applied or chamber music lessons) with Dr. Drago during the previous semester. That by definition includes all freshmen, first-year masters and entering transfer students, as well as every cellist and double bass that was not involved in chamber music during the preceding Spring semester.
What do I have to play?
- Two short (ar. 2 minutes!) contrasting fragments of your choice.
- If you can, a 3 octave scale.
- You will be given a fragment for sight reading