Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival
The University of North Dakota Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival provides an opportunity for talented high school musicians to perform in a select ensemble under the leadership of UND faculty. The ensembles are chosen by live audition from among the finest high school musicians in the region.
2021 Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival
Please find below updated information concerning the 2021 University of North Dakota Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival. This includes audition information, directions for submitting recordings, as well as links for students to complete the online Student Information Forms.
At the request of several directors, we are extending the deadline to receive recorded auditions to February 5. We hope this allows more students to participate in the audition process. Audition entries will continue to be accepted through the February 5 deadline.
Auditioning for the UND HBCS Festival will provide the opportunity to prepare and participate in the audition process, as well as possibly be selected, for these Honor Ensembles. As we survey our options following the audition process, we will determine what experiences we may be able to offer the students selected. This could range from Zoom masterclasses to an abbreviated Festival weekend in late spring. Please know that whatever music educational experience we are able to provide, our focus will be to safeguard the health and well-being of all concerned.
- UND will accept recorded auditions for the HBCS Festival through February 5, 2021.
- If students select the Zoom audition option, they will be contacted by UND to schedule this.
- There is no fee to audition or participate in the Festival this year.
- Audition requirements for each Honor Ensemble can be found below.
- The Honor Ensembles will be selected and posted on the UND Music website in February.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.
Dr. Simona Barbu, UND Honor Strings Conductor
Dr. Dean Jilek, UND Mixed Honor Choir Conductor
Dr. James Popejoy, UND Honor Band Conductor
Mrs. Melanie Popejoy, UND Women’s Honor Choir Conductor
For those students in grades 10-12 who are interested in auditioning for the 2021 University of North Dakota Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival, please follow the guidelines below. NOTE: There is no fee to audition or participate in the HBCS Festival this year.
Audition recordings can be emailed directly to the UND faculty member conducting the auditions (email addresses can be found with the audition information). Please send these recordings by February 5, 2021.
Students will be asked to complete an online Audition Information Form to accompany their recorded or Zoom audition.
- UND Honor Band Audition Information Form
- UND Honor Choir Audition Information Form
- UND Honor Strings Audition Information Form
We would prefer to receive recorded auditions from each student this year if at all possible. Students who are not able to send a recorded audition, can be scheduled for a Zoom audition if needed. Please indicate each student’s plans concerning this issue on the Audition Information Form.
Specific information concerning audition requirements for each ensemble is below. Sight-reading will not be required this year. NOTE: Students are allowed to submit the recorded audition they prepared for the North Dakota or Minnesota All-State Auditions this year if they prefer.
Honor Band Auditions
Woodwind and Brass instrumentalists should play two excerpts from
appropriate solo literature and/or etudes that will exhibit both lyrical playing and technical proficiency (approximately three minutes in length total for this repertoire). Students will also be asked to play a major scale of their choice and chromatic scale (both scales should be performed ascending and descending). Students may choose the style and tempo, as well as the number of octaves (please play as many as possible), for these scales. Percussionists should play prepared solo literature and/or excerpts on both snare drum and a keyboard mallet instrument. Percussionists are not required to play scales or rudiments. Instrumentalists do not need an accompanist.
Dr. James Popejoy will conduct the Honor Band auditions. Please send recordings directly to Dr. Popejoy.
Honor Choir Auditions
Vocalists should sing a prepared solo from classical vocal solo (i.e. nonchoral)
repertoire, limiting to a two minute maximum performance. Popular or country music should be avoided. Vocalists should provide an accompanist for their audition. Upon quarantine, the vocalist may use a recorded accompaniment. Please refrain from singing a cappella. Also, a vocalise taken from the
Sieber Thirty-Six “Eight Measure” Vocalises will be an important part of the audition.
- Soprano 1: Sieber Op. 92. Vol. 111. Schirmer ed. #50252790 #11, a cappella, 1st verse, Italian Vowels, quarter note = 72
- Soprano 2: Sieber Op. 92. Vol. 111. Schirmer ed. #50252790 #35, a cappella, 1st verse, Italian Vowels, quarter note = 76
- Alto 1: Sieber Op. 94. Vol. 113. Schirmer ed. #50252810 #24, a cappella, 1st verse, Italian Vowels, quarter note = 80
- Alto 2: Sieber Op. 94. Vol. 113. Schirmer ed. #50252810 #12, a cappella, 1st verse, Italian Vowels, quarter note = 69
- Tenor: Sieber Op. 95. Vol. 114. Schirmer ed. #50252820 #13, a cappella, 1st verse, Italian Vowels, quarter note = 72
- Bass: Sieber Op. 97. Vol. 116. Schirmer ed. #50252840 #33, a cappella, 1st verse, Italian Vowels, quarter note = 48
Dr. Dean Jilek will conduct the Honor Choir auditions. Please send recordings directly to Dr. Jilek.
Honor Strings Auditions
String instrumentalists should play two excerpts from appropriate
solo literature and/or etudes that will exhibit both lyrical playing and technical proficiency (approximately three minutes in length total for this repertoire). They will also be asked to play one major OR minor scale (two or more octaves; students may choose the style and tempo).
Dr. Simona Barbu will conduct the Honor Strings auditions. Please send recordings directly to Dr. Barbu.