UND Flute Studio
The Flute Studio at the University of North Dakota offers a comprehensive, student-centric education to reach your full potential as a flutist and to attain your goals as a musician.
In addition to personalized individual instruction and weekly flute studio classes, students have diverse opportunities to perform in award-winning large ensembles, various chamber ensembles, and as soloists.
Flute at UND
Benefits of a Flute Degree at UND
- Undergraduate scholarships, graduate assistantships, and graduate tuition waivers.
- Weekly lessons and studio classes with Dr. Bost.
- Chamber music coaching and performance in the NorthboUND Quartet and the UND Flute Ensemble.
- Specialized instruction in flute performance, pedagogy, and literature that is tailored toward your major and your personal goals.
- A comprehensive approach to prepare students for the diverse demands of a career in music.
- Solo and ensemble performance opportunities on and off campus.
- Access to the Music Department’s high-quality piccolos (Burkart Pro, Burkart Resona, Zentner, and Roy Seaman), Trevor James black nickel alto flute, Pearl bass flute, and new baroque flute.
- Recitals, masterclasses, and workshops with world-renowned guest artists.
- Meaningful connections with the community through outreach events.
- Leadership opportunities in the Flute Alliance of UND (an official student organization).
The Flute Alliance of the University of North Dakota
The Flute Alliance is an official student organization. This collective of flute players shares in their common interests to encourage proficiency in the arts and enhance members’ education through a culturally diverse and historically relevant set of skills and knowledge.
- President: Katie Cermak
- Secretary: Ren Crowder
- Treasurer: Alexandra Funk
- Advisor: Dr. Lisa Bost-Sandberg
- Wind Ensemble
- University Band
- Chamber Orchestra
- NorthboUND Flute Quartet
- UND Flute Ensemble
- Mixed chamber ensembles
- New music ensembles
- Musical pit ensembles
- Jazz bands
- Pride of the North Marching Band
Solo Performance Opportunities
- Flute Studio classes
- Student Showcases
- UND Flute Studio Recitals
- Solo recitals
- Community Events/Outreach Concerts
Concerts, Masterclasses, and Workshops with Guests Artists
- Kelly Mollnow Wilson - September 2022 (via Zoom)
- Claudia Anderson - January 2022
- Daniel Shineberg - November 2021
- Jonathan Borja - April 2021 (via Zoom)
- Leonard Garrison - February 2021 (via Zoom)
- Erik Swanson, master repair technician - November 2020 (via zoom)
- Sophia Tegart - October 2020 (via Zoom)
- Nicole Riner - October 2020 (via Zoom)
- Paula Gudmundson - November 2019
- Valerie Coleman - October 2019
- Hannah Porter Occeña - March 2019
- Debora Harris - November 2018, January 2021 (via Zoom)
- Robert Dick - April 2018
- Danilo Mezzadri - March 2018
- Rachel Haug Root - March 2017, February 2020
Would you like to learn more about the UND Flute Studio and Music Department?
Please don't hesitate to contact us. We are happy to help!
Instructor of Flute
Contact Dr. Bost to coordinate a UND Music Department visit. Depending on the schedule, this visit may be able to include a lesson with Dr. Bost, a UND Music tour, and sitting in a music class or ensemble rehearsal.
Lessons with Dr. Bost
Dr. Bost is happy to offer a lesson to all prospective students. Send her an email to schedule it – she can meet you either in person or via Zoom!
Are you ready to apply to UND?
Take the next step and complete your application!
Audition for a music scholarship.
All graduate applicants are encouraged to apply for Graduate Assistantships.
Schedule a graduate audition by contacting Dr. Bost.
After Being Accepted
- Prepare for the Keyboard (Piano) Proficiency Exam if you would like to test out of one or more Keyboard Skills classes.
- Prepare for the Theory Placement Exam.
- Put the Music Orientation on your calendar.
- Email Dr. Bost about an Applied Lesson Placement Audition if you did not perform a Scholarship Audition.