UND Flute Studio
The Flute Studio at the University of North Dakota offers a comprehensive music education for excellence in all aspects of playing the flute as well as in overall musicianship.
In addition to personalized individual instruction and weekly flute studio classes, students have diverse opportunities to perform in award-winning large ensembles, various chamber ensembles, and as soloists.
Benefits of a Flute Degree at UND
- Undergraduate scholarships, graduate assistantships, and graduate tuition waivers.
- Weekly lessons and studio classes with Dr. Bost.
- Chamber music coaching and performance in the UND Flute Ensemble.
- Specialized instruction in flute performance, pedagogy, and literature that is tailored toward your major and your personal goals.
- A comprehensive approach to prepare students for the diverse demands of a career in music.
- Solo and ensemble performance opportunities on and off campus.
- Access to the Music Department’s high-quality piccolos, new Trevor James black nickel alto flute, and new Pearl bass flute.
- Recitals, masterclasses, and workshops with world-renowned guest artists.
- Meaningful connections with the community through outreach events.
- Leadership opportunities in the Flute Alliance of UND (an official student organization).
Concerts, Masterclasses, and Workshops with Guests Artists
- Erik Swanson, master repair technician - November 2020 (via zoom)
- Sophia Tegart - October 2020 (via Zoom)
- Nicole Riner - October 2020 (via Zoom)
- Paula Gudmundson - November 2019
- Valerie Coleman - October 2019
- Hannah Porter Occeña - March 2019
- Debora Harris - November 2018
- Robert Dick - April 2018
- Danilo Mezzadri - March 2018
- Rachel Haug Root - March 2017
UND ensembles include:
- Wind Ensemble
- University Band
- Chamber Orchestra
- Flute Quartet
- Flute Ensemble
- Mixed chamber ensembles
- New music ensembles
- Musical pit ensembles
- Pride of the North Marching Band
Solo performing opportunities include:
- Flute Studio classes
- Student Showcases
- UND Flute Studio Recitals
- Solo recitals
- Community Events/Outreach Concerts
The Flute Alliance of the University of North Dakota
The Flute Alliance is a newly-formed student organization. This collective of flute players shares in their common interests to encourage proficiency in the arts and enhance members’ education through a culturally diverse and historically relevant set of skills and knowledge
- President: Gina Tietz
- Secretary: Brianna Wink
- Treasurer: Jemel Canapi
- Advisor: Dr. Lisa Bost-Sandberg
Would you like to learn more about the UND Flute Studio and Music Department?
Email us – we are happy to help!
- Instructor of Flute Dr. Lisa Bost
- Flute Studio students:
- Music Department Undergraduate Advisor Tammy Mulske
Would you like a lesson with Dr. Bost?
Dr. Bost is happy to offer a lesson to all prospective students. Send her an email to schedule it – she can meet you either in person or via Zoom!
Would you like a tour?
Schedule a UND campus tour.
Email Dr. Bost to schedule a UND Music Department visit. Depending on schedule this visit may be able to include a lesson with Dr. Bost, a department tour, or sitting in a music class.
Are you ready to apply?
Are you wondering what to take care of now that you have been accepted?
- Prepare for the Keyboard (Piano) Proficiency Exam if you would like to test out of one or more Keyboard Skills classes.
- Prepare for the Theory Placement Exam.
- Put the Music Orientation on your calendar.
- Email Dr. Bost about an Applied Lesson Placement Audition if you did not perform a Scholarship Audition.