CSD Strategic Plan
CSD Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) is to meet the needs of the University of North Dakota (UND) and its surrounding community in the discipline of communication sciences and disorders, especially in the area of speech-language pathology. Specifically, the mission of CSD is to:
- Provide academic and clinical instruction, supervised clinical practica, and research experiences for undergraduate and graduate-level students.
- Conduct research with the aim of contributing to the body of knowledge concerning communication processes and communication disorders.
- Provide clinical services to individuals, groups, and agencies within North Dakota and the region.
- Participate in the governance of the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) and the University.
- Provide professional leadership within local, state and national organizations.
CSD Strategic Plan
Goal 1: Strengthen the curriculum.
- Obj 1.1. Review alignment of graduate curriculum with ASHA standards annually.
- Obj 1.2. Increase credit hours generated in the department.
- Obj. 1.3 Identify areas for additional growth and development in the curriculum.
Goal 2: Recruit and retain qualified, diverse undergraduate and graduate students.
- Obj 2.1. Increase undergraduate opportunities for varied learning experiences
- Obj 2.2. Recruit students of diverse backgrounds into our program.
- Obj 2.3. Retain quality undergraduate students as graduate students.
Goal 3: Improve/optimize a consumer-responsive clinic.
- Obj 3.1. Increase array of services offered through the clinic.
- Obj 3.2. Provide quality services to our students and community.
- Obj 3.3. Collaborate with administration to ensure safe, up-to-date clinic facilities.
- Obj 3.4 Expand and refine the use of electronic medical records software.
- Obj 3.5 Increase external clinic funding.
Goal 4: Identify opportunities for faculty and students to engage in research.
- Obj 4.1. Guide students in finding opportunities to present research at university, state, or national levels.
- Obj 4.2. Support faculty opportunities to engage in collaborative research across the campus.
This draft was approved by CSD faculty on 12/11/20. Notes on action items within each objective are available for review. This plan will be reviewed and updated annually.