The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, with the support of Erwin and Colleen Martens, hosts a colloquium each fall.
This one day learning event is offered to invited guests as a “thank you” for service to our department. Our students rely on a network of speech-language pathologists invested in helping to educate future speech-language pathologists through clinical supervision. We appreciate your efforts and will continue to offer the colloquium to show our gratitude.
2021 CSD Colloquium
Using Music to Facilitate Language with the Swingset Mamas
September 24, 2021 | Gorecki Alumni Center, UND
The NDSBE has approved this event for 6 continuing education hours for ND State SLP Licensure.
Music with Ms. Marlowe
Marlowe Bechmann uses music as an educational learning tool both online and in special education classrooms to enhance learning, communication and social skills. In addition to being a founder of The Swingset Mamas, for the last 11 years, she has been working with special education teachers, SLPs and students. She creates songs and music videos that are designed to be accessible to the special education community by using AAC symbols, visuals, coping skills, joint attention, manipulatives, gross motor movements and more. Marlowe’s experience with her oldest daughter, who is a non-verbal AAC user, helps her to enrich the lives of AAC users and special education classrooms everywhere.
Lizzie Swan has spent 30 years engaging audiences of all ages with her captivating vocal style and dynamic presence. It was while working with the elderly as a creative arts specialist that she first learned to harness the power of music to heal, teach and connect people of all ages and abilities. In addition to her work as an early childhood educator and performing with the Swingset Mamas, Lizzie is also a ritual song leader and cantorial soloist. She has recorded two award winning Jewish Music albums with the Hebrew Wizards Family Band. Two of her songs were recently chosen to be in the Manginot-Complete Jewish Songbook for Children. Lizzie is also a seasoned rock n roll veteran. You can catch her jamming at rock clubs and festivals in the bands Swivel Chair and Fingersleeve.
The Swingset Mamas
The Swingset Mamas have been sharing their award winning music with families and school communities for over 20 years. Their energetic live shows, workshops, picture books and videos combine music with visuals and movement to engage and connect people of all ages and abilities. The Swingset Mamas perform all across the country connecting diverse audiences with uplifting, singable, danceable tunes and musical messages of acceptance and inclusion. Drawing on their experience as parents and educators, Marlowe and Lizzie, empower and activate audiences by infusing their playful, inspiring tunes with interactive and meaningful learning concepts.
Past CSD Speakers
- 2019 - Dr. Robert Owens, Albany, NY*
- 2018 - Ellen Engstrom & Meghan Miller, Groves Academy, St. Louis Park, MN*
- 2017 - Anne Carlson Center, Bismarck, ND*
- 2016 - Dr. Jerry Hoepner, Eau Claire, WI*
- 2015 - Mrs. Monica Gustafson, Winnipeg, MB*
- 2014 - Ms. Nancy Shippam & Ms. Carole Conyers, Winnipeg, MB*
- 2013 - Mrs. Pam Marshalla, Private Practice, Millcreek, WA*
- 2012 - Dr. Tommie Robinson, Director, Scottish Rite Center, Washington, DC*
- 2011 - Mrs. Sarah Ward, Private Practice, Boston, MA*
- 2010 - Dr. Suzanne Moineau, Prof. California State University, San Marcos, CA*
- 2009 - Mrs. Jen Taps, M. S. School Practice, San Diego USD, CA*
- 2008 - Dr. Rita Bailey, Prof. Illinois State University*
- 2007 - Mrs. Mary Kay Therres, Children's Hospital, Philadelphia, PA*
- 2006 - Mrs. Rachel Arntson, Private Practice, Minneapolis, MN*
- 2005 - Dr. Heather Clark, Prof. Appalachian State University, NC (Supported by CSD, UND)
- 2005 - Dr. Hanna Ulatowska, Prof. University of Texas, Dallas, TX (Supported by EpsCoR, ND)
- 2004 - Dr. Richard Shine, Prof. Emeritus, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC (Supported by ORPD, UND)
- 2003 - Dr. Richard Hurtig, Prof. University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA (Supported by OID, UND)
*Supported by Colleen & Erwin Martens Endowment