High Resolution Mass Spectrometry Training
To arrange for a training session and sample analysis using high resolution time of flight Mass Spectrometer (HR TOF MS), each student need prior approval from their advisor. Please contact Dr. Alena Kubatova once you are granted approval to schedule the training.
Graduate students are required to accomplish minimum two training sessions while running their own samples under the supervision of TOF operators. Guidelines for the sample preparation and operation of the instrument are available below.
After two sessions, students are expected to proceed with future analysis independently following the approval of the lead instructor.
- Instrument will be calibrated by the operators at the beginning of each session.
- Prior to each measurement, students need to provide a sheet with chemical structures and exact molecular weights of compounds contained in the sample (if applicable).
- All students are expected to backup their own data and share copy in common OneDrive folder.
Before the start of the lab assignment, student must hand-write answers to a take-home test. In addition to providing handwritten answers, students must have knowledge of the content prior to the lab. The lab takes a minimum of 6 hours but it can be broken into several three hour sessions.
- Take-home Exam
- HR TOF lab assignment for small molecules
- HR TOF polymer assignment
- HR TOF instrument manual (brief guides to operation)
- Guideline for processing in MassHunter
- Mass calculator
- Mass calculator for polymers
- Processing with Analyst