Gas Chromatography Training
Several GCs instruments are available to UND Chemistry students. To setup a training session, contact Dr. Kubatova.
Assignments involve a gas chromatograph with the flame ionization detector (GC-FID). Student will learn basics about the operation of Hewlett Packard (HP 5890) instrument with a split/splitless injector, flow rates, optimization of temperature, and evaluate the repeatability.
Before the start of the lab assignment, student will need to prepare hand-written answers to a take-home test. The excellent resource for the take-home test is Chromacademy GC bootcamp (users need to register for academic access). In addition, students should have knowledge of the content prior to the lab. The lab takes a minimum of 6 hours but can be broken into several 3 hour sessions.
- Take-home test prior the GC lab
- GC assignment
- Manual for the operation of GC instruments in lab 338
- Video on liner replacement
Study Materials and Tutorials
- Chromacademy module - Practical GC Video Bootcamp
- Gas Chromatography
- Tutorial for calibration curve in Excel including excel example (2003)
- Tutorial for calibration curve in Excel including excel example (2007)
- Tutorial for LOD/LOQ Calculation
- Examples of flow and injection volume calculations
- Agilent flow calculator
- Flow calculator for Iphone
- Agilent method translation software
- Agilent GC maintenance videos