Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad Endowment
The Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad Endowment is an annual funding opportunity open to College of Arts & Sciences faculty, and it holds the purpose of promotion of peace and nonviolence. The purpose of the endowment is the promotion of peace and nonviolence through research and study.
Dr. Aqueil Ahmad served as a Sociology Professor at UND during the late 1960s and early 1970s and was instrumental in the establishment of the UND Peace Studies program. Specifically, the Joyce and Aqueil Endowment funds research and creative activities that: 1) Lead to better understanding of the behavioral, social and cultural causes and consequences of random and targeted acts of violence against individuals, groups and communities; and 2) Promote conversations about peace and nonviolence among individuals, groups and communities.
The College of Arts & Sciences invites proposals that clearly meet both objectives. Proposal budgets are limited to $1,500. Proposals must include a plan for outreach to the general public. The grant period is calendar year 2019.
The deadline to apply is October 26, 2018.
Full-time faculty (including those on special appointment) in any College of Arts & Sciences department or program may apply as long as research or creative activity is required under their UND contract and they will complete the proposed work while employed at UND.
1. Cover sheet: Project title, investigator name and affiliation and signature.
2. Project Narrative (2 double-spaced pages maximum)
Explain how the proposed activity meets both objectives of the Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad Endowment. Describe the proposed activity and include a brief background.
3. Budget and Budget Justification (1 page):
The budget must be broken down into individual line items with each item justified. Individual awards are limited to $1,500. For additional instructions, please refer to the document "Budget Guidelines for Research Initiatives" found in the Research Initiatives section of the College of Arts & Sciences web page.
Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee within the College of Arts & Sciences will review and score proposals and make funding recommendations to the Dean, who will award funding.
Resources and Infrastructure Committee members will evaluate applications according to the following criteria:
- Significance of the contribution that the project will make in addressing both objectives of the Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad Endowment; and
- Quality of the conception, organization, and description of the project.
- Awardees agree to use the title “Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad Endowed Scholar” for calendar year 2019. Faculty must send a “thank you” letter to Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad in coordination with Tanya Butler, Engagement Coordinator for the College of Arts & Sciences (tanya.butler@UND.edu).
- The Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad Endowment and College of Arts & Sciences support for the project must be acknowledged in all resulting presentations, publications, exhibits, performances, etc.
- UND policies and procedures must be followed for expenditure of funds including purchases, reimbursements, payroll appointments and hiring processes. Please note that according to UND policy, anything purchased with UND funds is the property of UND.
- Submission of a brief final report to the College of Arts & Sciences within 1 month of the project’s end date (see detailed timeline below). The report must include a summary of results and outcomes of the project. Send reports to Carrie Jackson at carrie.jackson@UND.edu. A copy of the report will be provided by the College to Joyce and Aqueil Ahmad.
October 26, 2018: Proposals are due to the A&S Dean’s Office in MS Word or PDF format. Please submit to Carrie Jackson via email at: carrie.jackson@UND.edu. In the email subject line, please type “Ahmad Endowment.”
November 16, 2018: Awards are announced.
January 1, 2019: Start of the award period. Remember to send updates to, and respond to requests for information from, Tanya Butler at: tanya.butler@UND.edu.
December 31, 2019: All award monies must be spent. For questions about expenditures and project budgets, contact Kristi Bruggeman at: kristi.bruggeman@UND.edu or 777-2740.
January 31, 2020: Final reports are due to the Arts & Sciences Dean’s Office. Please submit the reports in MS Word or PDF format to Carrie Jackson at: carrie.jackson@UND.edu.
Please direct questions to Lucian Stone, Faculty Fellow for Research & Creative Activities, College of Arts & Sciences, at 777-3011 or lucian.stone@UND.edu.