Modern & Classical Languages & Literatures
Promoting the learning of language, literature, and culture so that students are prepared to engage in a multi-lingual, culturally diverse, global community.
The department's courses and programs have both intrinsic and practical value for students. Language, literature, and culture represent the backbone of the liberal-arts educational mission of the university.
- Chinese Studies
- Classical Studies
- Foreign Language Certificate
- German Studies
In an increasingly interconnected world, a global perspective is more essential than ever. We also offer a degree in International Studies that gives you the tools for a successful career at the local, national or international level.
Mission and Goals
- Provide quality instruction in modern and classical languages at the introductory, intermediate, and advanced levels
- Promote and enhance languages, literature, and cultures, including those with historical significance in North Dakota and the surrounding region
- Continually assess global developments to provide students with practical and applicable experiences
- Develop, maintain, and promote study-abroad programs so that students can gain firsthand experience in different cultures
- Engage in scholarly activity to advance understanding of language, literature, and culture
- Collaborate with departments and programs on campus to integrate study of languages, literature, and cultures
- Demonstrate that an understanding of diversity is paramount to a student’s education and is advanced through the teaching of language, literature, and culture
- Enhance our communities through dialogues, activities, and events and sharing knowledge of language, literature, and culture
- Create and maintain innovative international relationships with individuals, institutions, and organizations