Modern & Classical Languages & Literatures
Promoting the learning of language, literature, and culture so that students are prepared to engage in a multi-lingual, culturally diverse, global community.
Due to COVID-19, a majority of faculty and staff at UND are working remotely. Please contact faculty via email for appointments.
For immediate assistance, please contact Donna Simlai.
The department's courses and programs have both intrinsic and practical value for students. Language, literature, and culture represent the backbone of the liberal-arts educational mission of the university.
In an increasingly interconnected world, a global perspective is more essential than ever. We also offer a degree in International Studies that gives you the tools for a successful career at the local, national or international level.
Mission and Goals
- Provide quality instruction in modern and classical languages at the introductory, intermediate, and advanced levels
- Promote and enhance languages, literature, and cultures, including those with historical significance in North Dakota and the surrounding region
- Continually assess global developments to provide students with practical and applicable experiences
- Develop, maintain, and promote study-abroad programs so that students can gain firsthand experience in different cultures
- Engage in scholarly activity to advance understanding of language, literature, and culture
- Collaborate with departments and programs on campus to integrate study of languages, literature, and cultures
- Demonstrate that an understanding of diversity is paramount to a student’s education and is advanced through the teaching of language, literature, and culture
- Enhance our communities through dialogues, activities, and events and sharing knowledge of language, literature, and culture
- Create and maintain innovative international relationships with individuals, institutions, and organizations