Internships provide students with practical experiences in career settings. These experiences often allow interns to apply the knowledge gained through coursework to professional situations.
Academic and practical instruction are vital parts of the education process and should complement and support each other.
Students planning an internship must remember that the employer invests time and effort supervising and training interns. Services of value are expected in return. The internship is a reciprocal arrangement: students exchange their work in return for on-the-job training, work experience and contacts. Students are expected to treat the internship as a job.
Students need to be approved by the Internship Coordinator, Desi Anderson, prior to starting an internship for credit.
- Students must be junior or senior status
- Students must have completed Comm 102, 103, 110, and 200
- Students must complete 150 hours to earn 3 credits needed for their major (50 hours = 1 cr, 100 hours = 2 cr)
- Students can earn up to 6 credits but no more than 3 credits in a semester
Students need to follow these steps once they have accepted an internship:
- Complete the student internship online form for the semester you are completing your internship (link to form is below).
- Spring 2020 Internship Online Form
- Once the Internship Coordinator receives this form the students internship supervisor will be contacted
Once you have been approved, an email regarding your enrollment in Comm 497 will be sent to you by the Internship Coordinator, Desi Anderson. Students will be required to:
- Report internship and learning objectives through Handshake
- Complete an internship evaluation
- Compile and submit a timesheet with completed internship hours
- Submit Spring 2020 Student Internship Online Form by January 3
- Submit Summer 2020 Student Internship Online Form by May 8
- Submit Fall 2020 Student Internship Online Form by August 14
If you are a student interested in an internship opportunity for Communication graduation requirement or are a business/organization with an internship opportunity please contact:
Undergraduate Academic Advisor & Internship Coordinator
Columbia Hall Room 1000