Internships provide students with practical experiences in career settings.
These experiences often allow interns to apply the knowledge gained through coursework to professional situations. Academic and practical instruction are vital parts of the education process and should complement and support each other.
Students planning an internship must remember that the employer invests time and effort supervising and training interns. Services of value are expected in return. The internship is a reciprocal arrangement: students exchange their work in return for on-the-job training, work experience and contacts. Students are expected to treat the internship as a job.
Student internships require approval by the Communication department's Internship Coordinator, Angela Cary, prior to starting an internship for credit.
- Students must be junior or senior status.
- Students must have completed Comm 102, 110, and 200.
- Students must complete 150 hours of internship to earn 3 credits needed for their major (50 hours = 1 cr, 100 hours = 2 cr).
- Students can earn up to 6 credits of internship but no more than 3 credits in a semester.
Complete Internship Next Steps
Students need to follow these steps once they have accepted an internship:
1. Complete the student internship online form for the semester you are completing your internship (link to form is below). Once the department's Internship Coordinator receives this form, the student's internship supervisor will be contacted.
- Fall 2023 Internship Form
- Spring 2024 Internship Form
- Summer 2024 Internship Form
- Fall 2024 Internship Form
2. Once you have been approved, an email regarding your enrollment in Comm 497 will be sent to you by the Internship Coordinator. At this time, students will be required to:
- Report internship and learning objectives through Handshake.
- Complete an internship evaluation.
- Compile and submit a timesheet with completed internship hours.
Submit student internship form one week prior to the start of the semester you are planning to enroll in your internship (COMM 497).
If you are a student interested in an internship opportunity for Communication graduation requirements or are a business/organization with an internship opportunity please contact Angela Cary.