US MASTER Scholarship Program
The US MASTER scholarship program may provide financial support for up to 4 years (if the renewal criteria are satisfied and funding available). It is subject to competitive selection with support ranging between $4,000 and $6,000 a year depending on the eligibility criteria. Students incoming to the program usually start at level of $1,500 for 1st semester, with increase in second second semester to up to $3,000.
The goal of the program is to recruit and provide support for talented students with financial need, who demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in their chosen field (excluding professional tracks, e.g. medical careers) and are enrolled in the supported majors (listed above). The US MASTER program emphasizes development of scientific research skills. Students are expected to enroll each semester in a one-credit seminar, and encouraged to pursue active research or teaching oriented components.
Applications are now accepted through UND Scholarship Central. Scholarship deadline is February 1, 2020 (March 1 for transfer and current students).
Scholarship Application Checklist
- Complete the UND admission application.
- Full time enrollment in biology, chemistry, environmental sciences, geography & GISc, mathematics or physics and astrophysics degree program.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); this is required to demonstrate unmet need for the financial award package to be provided by UND.
- Have a completed personal statement (~300 words) describing your interest in science and/or mathematics, the importance of the US MASTER scholarship, interest in science-oriented research with regard to your future career goals. Please note that students with pre-professional career goals (e.g. medical school) are only eligible if they demonstrate an interest in research or similar science/mathematics experience.
- Have the contact information of two recommenders (one of them should be science instructor or research mentor). A link will be provided to each recommender when you fill in the application online.
- College students (returning or transfer) need to submit a transcript: An unofficial copy of the transcript is acceptable.
Apply through UND Scholarship Central by February 1, (March 1 for transfer and current students).
Once you have completed your application, a request will be emailed to those you listed as references. They will be able to respond to the message with recommendation.
Contact us if you have any questions, concerns, or to provide feedback regarding the website.