- Areas of Study
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Integrated Studies
- Modern & Classical Languages & Literatures
- Linguistics (Summer Institute of Linguistics
- Non-Profit Leadership
- Philosophy & Religion
- Physics & Astrophysics
- Pre-Health Programs
- Theatre Arts
- Women & Gender Studies
- 4-year Graduation Plans
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Give Now
The College of Arts and Sciences at UND offers excellent preparation for students seeking to enter health professional schools in such areas as medicine, osteopathic medicine, dentistry, optometry, chiropractic, physician assistant, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, podiatry and mortuary science.
The Pre-Health programs offered at UND in the College of Arts and Sciences set guidelines and timetables for students to successfully complete prerequisite coursework and other requirements relating to individual fields.
These programs are not majors and do not lead to a degree from UND! In order to graduate with a degree from UND, students must:
- Choose a Major and complete the specific requirements of that major as determined by the department responsible for that major
- Complete Essential Studies Requirements
- Complete 125 semester credits (36 of which must be upper divisional credits)
In order to join one of the UND Pre-Health programs, freshmen students (planning to finish in 4 years) must:
- Officially declare the Pre-Health program of their choice in the main office of the College of Arts and Sciences (Montgomery Hall 125)
- Activate and use their UND e-mail account
- Attend all freshmen group advising meetings during fall semester
- Attend one freshmen group advising meeting during spring semester
- Complete the following courses, with a C grade or better, before the start of sophomore year:
- Bio 150-151, with labs
- Math 103 (may test out of this with an equivalent ACT Math score or Compass Math Test score)
- Chem 121-122, with labs
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Visit with their major advisor
Older students wishing to join or switch Pre-Health programs should contact the College of Arts and Sciences ASAP to set up an appointment with the Health Sciences Advisor.
In order to stay in any of the UND Pre-Health Programs, all students must:
- Complete any prerequisite coursework for the professional school or program of their choice as advised
- Maintain a competitive cumulative GPA (3.0 minimum)
- Take the standardized entrance exam for their field of choice
- Visit with the Health Sciences Advisor regularly
- Visit with their major advisor regularly
The Health Sciences Advisor, Mrs. Kimberly Ruit, is available during the school year to help set up the Pre-Health professional program that best suits the individual goals and strengths of each student. Currently enrolled UND students may call the College of Arts and Sciences at 701.777.2749 to set up an appointment. No e-mails for appointments please!
Mrs. Ruit also visits with high school students considering UND for their Pre-Health undergraduate work. If you would like to visit campus during the school year and meet with her, you may set that up through the UND Admissions Office at 701.777.3000.
Mrs. Ruit is not available during the summer months for advising visits.