Faculty Grant Writing Initiative
The Faculty Grant Writing Initiative is an effort to support external grant proposal development projects within the UND College of Arts & Sciences through course releases.
In accordance with the College’s Strategic Plan, a pool of funds has been set aside to provide faculty with release time for grant writing. Requests for course releases should be made in accordance with department or program policies and in close consultation with the department chair or program director.
Faculty at all stages of their career are encouraged to apply. Collaborative grant writing efforts involving two or more Arts & Sciences faculty members will be considered.
Successful applicants are required to submit an external grant proposal within nine months of the end of the course release.
The grant period is the 2021-22 Academic Year, but the course release is for one semester only per investigator (i.e., either Fall 2021 or Spring 2022). The deadline to apply is TBA (see detailed timeline on Page 3). Applications must include a letter of support from the department chair or program director outlining a plan for covering the course release(s).
The deadline to apply is TBA.
Call For Proposals
Cover Sheet for Proposal Submittal Coming Soon
1. Faculty members from any College of Arts & Sciences department or program can apply. Applications to fund two or more Arts & Sciences faculty members to work on the same external grant proposal are allowed, although applicants should keep in mind that the College of Arts & Sciences has limited funds to support this initiative. Collaborative proposals with UND faculty from other colleges or institutions are also allowed, although funding through this program will support course releases for College of Arts & Sciences faculty only.
2. Any full-time faculty (including those on special appointment) in any College of Arts & Sciences department or program may apply as long as research or creative activity is required under their UND contract and they will complete the proposed work while employed at UND.
3. More than one proposal can come out of a single department or program. In those cases, the department chair or program director must rank the proposals and explain his/her rankings in writing. Rankings are due by the deadline for proposal submission. Chairs or directors cannot rank proposals in which they are an investigator. If needed, a tenured faculty member with no stake in any proposal may be appointed by the chair or director to rank departmental or program proposals.
4. An individual faculty member can be included as an investigator in only one submitted proposal.
5. While consideration will to be given to faculty who have previously received an award; priority may be given to faculty who have not.
6. Faculty who have previously received an award but have not submitted an external proposal are ineligible to receive a new award.
7. Proposals that fail to follow the guidelines outlined in this document will be denied
1. Cover sheet: Project title, investigator name(s) and affiliation(s), faculty rank(s), and original copies of faculty and department chair or program director signature(s).
2. Proposal summary (2 pages maximum)
- Summarize the proposed research. Explain the significance of the work. Keep in mind that your audiences are the members of the Resources & Infrastructure Committee and the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, who have expertise across a diverse set of disciplines.
- Indicate what external funding agency or foundation is the target. If applicable, discuss the specific program within the agency that the proposal will go to. Include the submission deadline and ensure it falls within the deadlines listed in Deadline and Submission of Proposals section, below.
3. Abbreviated CV (2 pages per investigator maximum): The CV should include education, employment history, and most relevant citations (e.g., publications, presentations, performances, juried exhibitions).
4. Letter of support from the department chair or program director.
Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee within the College of Arts & Sciences will review and score proposals and make recommendations to the Dean, who will award funding.
Committee members will be asked to evaluate and rank applications according to the following criteria:
- The promise of quality of the applicant's work;
- The quality of the conception, organization, and description of the project; and
- The likelihood that the project will result in external funding.
All recipients of Faculty Grant Writing Initiative awards are required to submit an external grant proposal within nine months of the end of the course release.
Proposals are due to the Arts & Sciences Dean’s Office in MS Word or PDF format. Please submit via email to: UND.artssci@UND.edu. In the email subject line, please type “Grant Writing Fund.” Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee will review and score the proposals and make recommendations to the Dean. The final decisions on awards are made by the Dean.
Awards are announced.
Jan. 1, 2021
Start of the award period.
May 15, 2021
End of the award period.
Sept. 30, 2021
Deadline to submit external proposal if the course release was in Fall 2020.
Dec. 31, 2021
Deadline to submit external proposal if the course release was in Spring 2020.
Dec 31, 2011
Deadline to submit external proposal if the course release was in Spring 2022.
Please direct questions to Mark Hoffmann, Associate Dean for Research, College of Arts & Sciences, at 701.777.3669 or mark.hoffmann@UND.edu.