- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
- Athletic Bands
- Concert Bands
- Jazz Ensembles
- Opera Studio
- Chamber Ensembles
- Steel Pan
Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival
The University of North Dakota Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival provides an opportunity for talented high school musicians to perform in a select ensemble under the leadership of UND faculty. The ensembles are chosen by live audition from among the finest high school musicians in the region.
The 2019 Festival will be held January 18-20.
Audition Dates & Locations
Auditions for the UND Honor Band & Choirs will be held on the following dates and locations:
- Monday, October 22: Devils Lake Middle School 9:00 am - 10:30 am
- Monday, October 22: Minot Magic City High School 1:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 23: Williston High School 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, October 23: Dickinson High School 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm MT
- Wednesday, October 24: Bismarck High School 8:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 24: Jamestown High School 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 24: Fargo South High School 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Thursday, October 25: Fargo South High School 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Friday, October 26: UND-Grand Forks 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Saturday, October 27: UND-Grand Forks 10:00 am - 1:00pm
- Monday, October 29: Legacy High School - Choir only 8:00 am - 5:00pm
Auditions for the UND Honor Strings will be held on the following dates and locations:
- Monday, October 22: Devils Lake Middle School 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Monday, October 22: Minot Magic City High School 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, October 23: Bismarck High School 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Tuesday, October 23: Jamestown High School 2:30 pm - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, October 23: Fargo South High School 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Friday, October 26: UND 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Saturday, October 27: UND 10:00 am - 11:00 am
General Audition Information
Students may audition for the Honor Band, an Honor Choir, and the Honor Strings if they so desire ($15.00 per audition). There is no participation fee for students that are selected. Please make every attempt to attend auditions at one of the sites listed. Special arrangements for students who are interested in auditioning but who cannot appear at the scheduled locations and times will be handled on an individual basis.
Festival Housing, Transportation & Meals
Students selected for an Honor Ensemble are responsible for making their own housing and transportation arrangements. To avoid increasing audition fees to help cover expenses, we also ask students to assume the responsibility for their own meals. Please note that the University of North Dakota bears no responsibility for supervision of the students away from the University. There is no participation fee for students that are selected for an Honor Ensemble!
Honor Band Auditions
Woodwind and Brass instrumentalists should play two excerpts from appropriate solo literature and/or etudes that will exhibit both lyrical playing and technical proficiency (approximately three minutes in length total for this repertoire). Students will also be asked to play a major scale of their choice and chromatic scale (both scales should be performed ascending and descending). Students may choose the style and tempo, as well as the number of octaves (please play as many as possible), for these scales. In addition, each woodwind and brass instrumentalist will also be asked to sight-read. Percussionists should play prepared solo literature and/or excerpts on both snare drum and a keyboard mallet instrument. Percussionists are not required to play scales or rudiments, but will be asked to sight-read on both snare drum and mallets. Instrumentalists do not need an accompanist. Dr. James Popejoy will conduct the Honor Band auditions.
Honor Choir Auditions
Vocalists should sing a prepared solo from classical vocal solo (i.e. non-choral) repertoire. Popular or country music should be avoided. Also, sight-reading will be an important part of the audition. Vocalists should provide their own accompanist. Please refrain from singing a cappella or using recorded accompaniment. Dr. Dean Jilek will conduct the Honor Choir auditions.
Honor Strings Auditions
String instrumentalists should perform a two-three minute selection from appropriate literature that showcases the student’s best playing ability. They will also be asked to play one major or minor scale (two or more octaves; students may choose the style and tempo). In addition, each student will also be asked to sight-read. Dr. Simona Barbu will conduct the Honor Strings auditions. Note: Pre-formed string chamber music groups interested in participating in the chamber music masterclass during the Festival should contact Dr. Simona Barbu prior to the auditions for additional information.
Directors should register their students for auditions via the online form. To facilitate scheduling, please register for auditions by October 1, 2018. Please note the columns asking for the preferred location and times for your auditions. The master audition schedule will be sent to directors by October 16th. Every attempt will be made to schedule students as closely as possible to their preferred time.
Payment for the auditions this year must be done by credit card when you register. The registration process may be completed by either directors, or by individual students. Please call UND Music at 701-777-2644 with any questions or concerns.
The audition fee for the Festival is $15.00 for each student per audition.
Click here to register for 2018-2019 auditions.
The University of North Dakota Honor Band, Choir & Strings Festival will begin on Friday, January 18, 2019 with the first rehearsal scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Rehearsals will continue on Saturday, January 19, with dress rehearsals and the concert scheduled for Sunday afternoon, January 20, in the Chester Fritz Auditorium on the UND campus. One of the highlights again this year will be a grand finale work performed by the combined Honor Band, Choirs and String ensembles. In addition, students will have the opportunity to interact with UND music students and faculty, as well as hear performances by UND Music Ensembles.
Previous Festival Rosters
- 2016-2017 Honor Band Roster
- 2016-2017 Honor Mixed Choir Roster
- 2016-2017 Honor Women's Choir Roster
- 2016-2017 Honor Strings Personnel
- 2015-2016 Honor Band Roster
- 2015-2016 Mixed Honor Choir Roster
- 2015-2016 Women's Honor Choir Roster
- 2015-2016 Honor Strings Festival Results
- 2014-2015 Honor Band Roster
- 2014-2015 Mixed Honor Choir Roster
- 2014-2015 Women's Honor Choir Roster
- 2013-2014 Honor Band Roster
- 2013-2014 Mixed Honor Choir Roster
- 2013-2014 Women's Honor Choir Roster
- 2012-2013 Honor Band Roster
- 2012-2013 Mixed Honor Choir Roster
- 2012-2013 Women's Honor Choir Roster
- 2011-2012 Honor Band Roster
- 2011-2012 Mixed Honor Choir Roster
- 2011-2012 Women's Honor Choir Roster