Thinking of taking SIL-UND classes?
Check out our program overview.
Your summer of linguistics awaits...
The SIL-UND program prepares you for many different types of work with local spoken and signed languages all over the world, with courses in linguistics, literacy, translation, anthropology, orthography, and language survey. SIL International has been offering classes in linguistics and related fields at UND every summer since 1952. This is classic SIL — an intensive summer program, with full university accreditation, built-around a close-knit residential community in which students, faculty, staff, and their families live and learn together. We keep costs low to make the program affordable for as many people as possible.
SIL-UND is known both for its tradition and its bold innovation.
Important notice: Summer 2019 will be SIL's last summer on the UND campus. For more details, see this press release or this FAQ. This is your last chance to experience an SIL summer in Grand Forks. So, come join us and help make it superb! Or, if you've been here before and can't make it back for the whole summer, come for our 2019 homecoming celebration!
Take courses for a summer or two...
- Applying to take SIL courses
- Training tracks
- Course listings in linguistics, literacy, translation, anthropology, orthography, language survey...
- Information for accepted participants — extra details once you know you're coming.
Or do a whole degree
- Master of Arts in Linguistics
- Graduate Certificate in Community-Based Literacy as Applied Linguistics
- Undergraduate minor in Linguistics (jointly sponsored with the UND English Department)