Language & Literacy Group
The purpose of the group is to "boost" language skills through interactive play and activities. All activities are intended to provide a solid foundation for developing reading and writing skills.
Who can join the group?
Children who are between the ages of 3 and 4, and would benefit from a language rich environment. Some examples are children who are learning English as a second language, children with speech delays, children who were late to begin talking. This group is not designed to meet the needs of children with significant expressive or receptive language delays, or general developmental delays.
What if my child has a speech or language disorder?
If your child qualifies for individual speech or language intervention, those services are offered at a different time. Individual sessions are charged a separate fee. We are able to bill insurance or Medicaid.
When and where does the group meet?
We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00-11:00 in Room 1525C Columbia Hall. We follow the UND school calendar.
Where can I park?
We offer "drop off" service from 8:50-9:10 and "pick up" service from 10:55-11:05. For "drop off" service, you will be allowed to use the entrance on Columbia Road. You will receive a parking pass to display in your window on the first day of class.
How much is the Language and Literacy Group?
The cost is $225 per semester. Payment is due in full by the first day. Individual speech and/or language services are billed separately.
How can I join?
Complete the application form and return it to:
UND Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic Attn: Carla Steen
501 N Columbia Rd Stop 8040
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8040
What do I need to bring on the first day?
Please bring a paint shirt (old oversized t-shirt) for art activities. If your child is toilet trained, please bring a change of clothes in case of accidents. If your child is not toilet trained, please supply what we will need for changing.
What will my child be doing at the Language and Literacy Group?
- 9:00-9:05 a.m. | Welcome and Sign-In Time (writing)
- 9:05-9:20 a.m. | Creative Play (themed activities targeting weekly vocabulary)
- 9:20-9:40 a.m. | Circle Time (shared story and phonological awareness activities)
- 9:40-10:00 a.m. | Music (Tuesday) and Art (Thursday) (following directions, concepts)
- 10:00-10:20 a.m. | Bathroom Break and Snack Time (general convesation skills, turn taking)
- 10:20-10:50 a.m. | Creative Play (themed activities for vocabulary and grammatical structures of language)
- 10:50 a.m. | Closing Activities (review of day, sequencing activities)
- 11:00 a.m. | Dismissal
Each week a new theme will be introduced. All activities for the week will be based on that particular theme. Theme related and Tier 2 vocabulary will be emphasized each week. A weekly parent newsletter will be distributed.