- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
Faculty Grant Writing Initiative
The Faculty Grant Writing Initiative is an effort to support external grant proposal development projects within the UND College of Arts & Sciences through course releases. In accordance with the College's Strategic Plan, a pool of funds has been set aside to provide faculty with release time for grant writing. Requests for course releases should be made in accordance with department or program policies and in close consultation with the department chair or program director. Faculty at all stages of their career are encouraged to apply. Collaborative grant writing efforts involving two or more Arts & Sciences faculty members will be considered. Successful applicants are required to submit an external grant proposal within nine months of the end of the course release. The grant period is the 2018-19 Academic Year, but the course release is for one semester only per investigator (i.e., either Fall 2018 or Spring 2019). Applications must include a letter of support from the department chair or program director outlining a plan for covering the course release(s).
The deadline to apply is November 9, 2017.
Faculty Grant Writing Initiative
call for proposals
Cover sheet for proposal submital
Review helpful Grant Writing Tips
- Faculty members from any College of Arts & Sciences department or program can apply. Applications to fund two or more Arts & Sciences faculty members to work on the same external grant proposal are allowed, although applicants should keep in mind that the College of Arts & Sciences has limited funds to support this initiative. Collaborative proposals with UND faculty from other colleges or institutions are also allowed, although funding through this program will support course releases for College of Arts & Sciences faculty only.
- Although these awards are primarily intended for tenured and tenure-track faculty in Arts & Sciences, temporary faculty can apply as long as research/creative activity is required under their UND contract and they will complete their proposed activity while employed at UND.
- More than one proposal can come out of a single department or program. In those cases, the department chair or program director must rank the proposals and explain his/her rankings in writing. Rankings are due by the deadline for proposal submission (see Deadline and Submission of Proposals section, below). Chairs or directors cannot rank proposals in which they are an investigator. If needed, a tenured faculty member with no stake in any proposal may be appointed by the chair or director to rank departmental or program proposals.
- An individual faculty member can be included as an investigator in only one submitted proposal.
- Proposals that fail to follow the guidelines outlined in this document will be denied.
- Cover sheet: Project title, investigator name(s) and affiliation(s), faculty rank(s), and original copies of faculty and department chair or program director signature(s).
- Proposal summary (2 pages maximum)
- Summarize the proposed research. Explain the significance of the work. Keep in mind that your audiences are the members of the Resources & Infrastructure Committee and the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, who have expertise across a diverse set of disciplines.
- Indicate what external funding agency or foundation is the target. If applicable, discuss the specific program within the agency that the proposal will go to. Include the submission deadline and ensure it falls within the deadlines listed in Deadline and Submission of Proposals section, below.
- Abbreviated CV (2 pages per investigator maximum): The CV should include education, employment history, and most relevant citations (e.g., publications, presentations, performances, juried exhibitions).
- Letter of support from the department chair or program director.
Award Selection Criteria
Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee within the College of Arts & Sciences will review and score proposals and make recommendations to the Dean, who will award funding.
Committee members will be asked to evaluate and rank applications according to the following criteria:
- The promise of quality of the applicant's work;
- The quality of the conception, organization, and description of the project; and
- The likelihood that the project will result in external funding.
All recipients of Faculty Grant Writing Initiative awards are required to submit an external grant proposal within nine months of the end of the course release.
Deadline and Submission of Proposals
November 9, 2017: Proposals due to the A&S Dean's Office in MS Word or PDF format. Please submit to Carrie Jackson via email at carrie.jackson@UND.edu. In the email subject line, please type Grant Writing Fund. Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee will review and score the proposals and make recommendations to the Dean. The final decisions on awards are made by the Dean.
December 7, 2017: Awards are announced.
August 16, 2018: Start of the award period. For questions about funds to cover course releases, contact Cheryl Schreiner at cheryl.schreiner@UND.edu or 777-4381.
May 15, 2019: End of the award period.
September 30, 2019: Deadline to submit external proposal if the course release was in Fall 2018.
February 15, 2020: Deadline to submit external proposal if the course release was in Spring 2019.
Please direct questions to Brad Rundquist, College of Arts & Sciences, Associate Dean for Research, at 777-3641 or firstname.lastname@example.org .