- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
Dr. Dmitri Poltavski
Ph.D. - University of North Dakota
Phone: (701) 777-3289
Office: Columbia Hall, Room 2915
My teaching responsibilities include upper-level undergraduate as well as graduate courses that primarily emphasize the biological foundation of behavior.
- Biological Bases of Behavior (online)
- Perception (online and traditional classroom)
- Physiological Psychology (traditional classroom)
- Psychophysiology (online and traditional classroom)
- Cognitive Psychology (online)
- Neuropsychology (online and traditional classroom)
- Physiological Psychology (traditional classroom)
- Psychopharmacology (online)
My research interests revolve around psychophysiological recording in the general domain of cognitive neuroscience with particular emphasis on measures of attention and memory. Specifically in my studies I've explored effects of psychoactive substances such as nicotine and alcohol on cognitive function and physiological measures (e.g. EDA, HR, BP). I am also interested in visual perception in relation to sustained visual attention and EEG activity in ADHD adults and concussed athletes as well as in the relationship between visual perception and athletic performance.
Publications by Areas of Interest
Visual Perception and Cognitive Function
- Poltavski, D.P. , Lederer, P., Kopko-Cox, L. (2017). VEP markers of concussion history in patients with Convergence Insufficiency. Optometry and Vision Science [in press].
- Poltavski, D. P., Biberdorf, D., & Mark, C. (2016). Association of Asthenopia with sustained attention, accommodation and encephalographic activity. Vision Development and Rehabilitation, 2(3), 155-169.
- Lederer, P., Poltavski, D. P., & Biberdorf, D. (2015). Confusion Inside Panum’s Area and Symptomatic Convergence Insufficiency. Vision Development and Rehabilitation, 1(1), 46-60.
- Poltavski, D. V. (2015). The Use of Single-Electrode Wireless EEG in BiobehavioraL Investigations. In A. Rasooly and K. E. Herold (eds). Mobile Health Technologies: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, 1256. Springer Science and Business Media, New York. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4939-2172-0_25
- Poltavski, D. V, & Biberdorf, D. (2014). The role of visual perception measures used in sports vision programs in predicting actual game performance in Division I collegiate hockey players” Journal of Sport Sciences, 33(6), 597-608. (Impact Factor: 2.095). DOI:10.1080/02640414.2014.951952
- Poltavski, D. V. [in press]. The use of single-electrode wireless EEG in biobehavioral investigations. In Mobile Health Technologies: Methods and Protocols. Rasooly & Herold (eds). Springer International Publishing AG, Cham.
- Poltavski, D. V., & Biberdorf, D. (2014). Screening for lifetime concussion in athletes: Importance of oculomotor measures. Brain Injury (Impact Factor: 1.51) 28(4), 475-485. DOI:10.3109/02699052.2014.888771
- Poltavski, D. V., Biberdorf, D., & Petros, T. V. (2012). Accommodative response and cortical activity during sustained attention. Vision Research (Impact Factor: 2.13), 63, 1-8. DOI:10.1016/j.visres.2012.04.017
Psychoactive Substances and Cognitive Function
- Poltavski, D. V. and Weatherly, J. N. (2013). Delay and probability discounting of multiple commodities in smokers and never-smokers using multiple-choice tasks. Behavioral Pharmacology (Impact Factor: 2.85),24(8), 659-667.DOI:10.1097/FBP.0000000000000010
- Poltavski, D. V., Petros, T. V & Holm, J. E. (2012). Lower but not higher doses of transdermal nicotine facilitate cognitive performance in smokers on gender non-preferred tasks. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior (Impact Factor: 2.61), 102(3),423-433. DOI:10.1016/j.pbb.2012.06.003
- Poltavski, D.V., Marino, J.M., Guido J.M., Kulland, A., & Petros, T. V. (2011) Effects of acute alcohol intoxication on verbal memory in young men as a function of time of day. Physiology & Behavior (Impact Factor: 3.16), 102 (1), 91-95. DOI:10.1016/j.physbeh.2010.10.007
- Poltavski, D. V. (2008). Gender differences in nicotine research: Implications for smoking cessation programs (pp. 147‐163). In M. K. Wesley & I. A. Sternbach (Eds.), Smoking and Women's Health Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Poltavski, D. V. (2008). Need for the use of physiological measures in gender research with adolescent smokers: Lessons from adult investigations" (pp. 19‐25). In M. Lapointe (Ed.), Adolescent Smoking and Health Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Poltavski, D. V. & Petros, T. (2006) Effects of transdermal nicotine on attention in adult non‐smokers with and without attentional deficits. Physiology and Behavior (Impact Factor: 3.16), 87, 614‐624.DOI:10.1016/j.physbeh.2005.12.011
- Poltavski, D. V. & Petros, T. (2005). Effects of transdermal nicotine on prose memory and attention in smokers and nonsmokers. Physiology and Behavior (Impact Factor: 3.16), 83, 833‐843. DOI:10.1016/j.physbeh.2004.10.005
- Holm, J., Lilienthal, K., Poltavski, D., Vogeltanz‐Holm, N. (2013). Relationships Betweeen Health Behaviors and Weight Status in American Indian and White Rural Children". The Journal of Rural Health. DOI:10.1111/jrh.12010.
- Mills, W. R., Robertson, S. P., Ogard, K. L., Musni, S. R., Poltavski, D. V., Kendis, D. R. (2013). Hospital Care of the Advanced Elderly by a Home‐Based Primary Care Team. Home Health Care Management & Practice, 25(3) 110‐114. DOI: 10.1177/10848223|247|340.
- Poltavski D. V., Holm, J. E., Vogeltanz‐Holm, N. D., & McDonald, R (2010). Health‐Related Quality of Life in Northern Plains American Indians: Role of physical activity. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 17(1), 25‐48.
- Holm J. E., Vogeltanz‐Holm, N. D., Poltavski, D. V, & McDonald, L. (2010). Health disparities in Northern Plains American Indians: Addressing Behavioral risks, preventive screenings, and health problems. Public Health Reports, 125 (1), 68‐78.
- Vogeltanz‐Holm, N. D., Holm, J. E., White Plume, J., & Poltavski, D. V. (2009). Confirmed Recall and Perceived Effectiveness of Tobacco Countermarketing Media in Rural Youth. Prevention Science, 10(4), 325‐334. DOI:10.1007/s11121-009-0134-0
- Vogeltanz‐Holm, N.D., Holm, J.E., White Plume, J., Listig‐Lunde, L., 2008 Kerr, P., Poltavski, D. V., Diers, L., & Alfonso, P. (2008). Youth tobacco use prevention programs: Twenty‐five years of research and recommendations for implementing successful school‐ and community‐based programs (pp. 27‐89). In M. Lapointe (Ed.), Adolescent Smoking and Health Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Poltavski, D. V. & Muus, K. (2005). Factors associated with incidence of 'inappropriate' ambulance transport in rural areas in cases of moderate to severe head injury in children. The Journal of Rural Health, 21(3) 272‐277.
- Poltavski, D. V. & Ferraro, F. R. (2003). Stress and illness in American and 2003 Russian college students. Personality and Individual Differences, 34, 971‐982.DOI:10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00082-X.
- Muus, K., Poltavski, D. V., & Knudson‐Buresh, A. (2003). The influence of 2003 demographics and health risk factors on cardiac interventions. Health Care Discussions, 6, 24‐31.