- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
Dr. Karyn Plumm
Ph.D., University of North Dakota (2006)
Director of Undergraduate Program
Karyn Plumm's research interests include perceptions of violent crime scenarios and attribution of blame. She combines social psychological theories and/or perspectives in relation to juror perception and legal policy.
- Plumm, K.M., Austin, A. & Terrance, C.A. (2013). Perceptions of sex offenses: Impacts of gender of perpetrator and victim. American Journal of Forensic Psychology, 31.
- Plumm, K.M. & Terrance, C.A. (2013). Gender-bias hate crimes: What constitutes a hate crime from a potential juror's perspective? Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43, 1468-1479.
- Austin, A., Plumm, K.M., Terrance, C.A. & Terrell, H.K. (2013). No halos for sex offenders: An examination of the effects of appearance and gender on the perceptions of sex offenders. Applied Psychology in Criminal Justice, 9, 124-136.
- Sommer, S., Plumm, K.M., & Terrance, C.A. (2013). Perceptions of younger single adults as a function of their gender and number of children. Journal of General Psychology, 140(2), 87-109.
- Terrance, C.A, Plumm, K.M. & Kehn, A. (2013). Battered women who kill: Impact of expert testimony and timing. Psychology, Psychiatry, and Law. DOI:10.1080/13218719.2013.773846
- Terrance, C.A, Plumm, K.M. & Rhyner, K. (2012) Expert testimony in cases involving battered women who kill: Going beyond the battered woman syndrome. North Dakota Law Review, 88(4) rev. 921.
- Weatherly, J. & Plumm, K.M. (2012). Delay Discounting as a Function of Intrinsic/Extrinsic Religiousness, Religious Fundamentalism, and Regular Church Attendance. Journal of General Psychology, 139, 117-133.
- Plumm, K.M., Borhart, H., & Weatherly, J.N. (2012). Choose your words wisely: Delay discounting of differently titled social policy issues. Behavior and Social Issues, 21, 26-48.
- Plumm, K.M., Nelson, K. & Terrance, C. A. (2012). A Crime by Any Other Name: Effects of Media Reporting on Perceptions of Sex Offenses. Journal of Media Psychology, 17, 1-29.
- Weatherly, J., Plumm, K. M. & Derenne, A. (2011). Delay discounting and social policy issues. The Psychological Record, 61, 527-546.
- Terrance, C.A., Plumm, K.M., & Thomas, S. (2011) Perceptions of domestic violence in heterosexual relationships: Impact of victim gender and history of response. Partner Abuse, 2, 208-223.
- Plumm, K.M., Terrance, C.A., Henderson, V.R. & Ellingson, H. (2010). Victim Blame in a hate crime motivated by sexual orientation. Journal of Homosexuality, 57, 267-286.
- Plumm, K.M., & Terrance, C.A. (2009). Battered women who kill: The impact of expert testimony and empathy induction in the courtroom. Violence Against Women, 15, 186-205.
- Plumm, K. M. (2008). Technology in the classroom: Burning the bridges to the gaps in gender-biased education? Computers and Education, 50, 1052-1060.
- Terrance, C.A., Plumm, K.M., & Little, B. (2008). Maternal blame: Battered women and abused children. Violence Against Women, 14, 870-885.