- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
Associate Professor Dr. Nuri Oncel
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Physics and Astrophysics at The University of North Dakota. I received a B.Sc. in Physics from the Department of Physics at Bilkent University in 2003.I received my Ph.D. from the University of Twente in the Netherlands in 2007.
After obtaining a Ph.D., I held a two-year postdoctoral research position in the Department of Chemistry at Princeton University.
In my group, we are interested in novel properties of low dimensional systems, such as quantum dots, nanowires and self-assembled molecular structures. Here is a link for the groups's facebook page.
- Dr. Oncel & Dr. Cakir's most recent paper is published on the cover of J. Applied Physics.
- The Oncel lab received ND-EPSCoR SEED grant to purchase X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy system.
- The Oncel lab in collaboration with Dr. Sima Noghanian (EE Department) received AMPLIFY grant.
- The Oncel lab received $10,000 EPSCOR-IPCED grant from UND-IP office.
- Our paper titled "Iridium Silicide nanowires on Si(110) surface" is published at Surface Science. ( Vol. 641, pg. 237, 2015)
- NanoArt: Hidden Landscapes II will be soon at the Emipire Art Center! (From May 1st to May 8th) Reception is on May 5th.
- NanoArt: Hidden Landscapes I was at the Emipire Art Center (April 29th to May 1st, 2014), photos are coming soon!
- Dylan Nicholls, first PhD student of our group defended his thesis succesfully! Way to Go Dylan!
- Mr. Mohattige and Ms. Fatima passed their qualifiers, now it is time to work in the lab :)
- "Nano-Art" project is featured on the UND web page.
- UND-Discovery Magazine published a story on our "Nano-Art" Project.
- Our paper "Iridium-modified Si(111) surface" (J.Phys. Cond. Matter, 25, 445004, 2013) is featured on the cover. (link)
- The Oncel Lab was awarded a 3-year NSF grant from the Division of Materials Research. (June 2013- May 2016)