- Areas of Study
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Integrated Studies
- Modern & Classical Languages & Literatures
- Linguistics (Summer Institute of Linguistics
- Non-Profit Leadership
- Philosophy & Religion
- Physics & Astrophysics
- Pre-Health Programs
- Theatre Arts
- Women & Gender Studies
- 4-year Graduation Plans
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Give Now
Calendar of Events Performance Areas Ensembles Undergraduate Studies Graduate Studies
- Application Procedure
- Assistantships & Tuition Waivers
- Tuition, Fees & Expenses
- Orientation Day
- Music Library
- Musicians For Hire
- Private Lessons
- Student Organizations
- Student Resources
- Faculty Resources
- Strategic Plan
- Departmental Policies
Apply to the School of Graduate Studies:
- All applications for graduate study are processed through the UND School of Graduate Studies website under MyGradSpace. This application must be completed first in order for your application to exist in the system.
- All of these graduate school admission material should be sent to the School of Graduate Studies, including transcripts and letters of reference.
- Transcripts and letters of reference are often slow to arrive and cause delays. It is recommended that you order your transcripts sent right away, or follow whatever procedure your school requires. Graduates of foreign universities often have trouble getting transcripts to the University. Call the UND School of Graduate Studies at (701) 777-2784 if there is a problem.
- Once your list of references is received, the School of Graduate Studies will contact the references directly with a secure reference form for them to submit electronically.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language(TOEFL):
- Required of non-native English speakers must be passed at the Graduate School's required level or the application will not be considered at all.
Supplemental Materials Required:
- MM in Instrumental Performance or Pedagogy
- Audition on the major performing instrument, either at UND or by mailing a recording of a recent live performance
- List of repertoire studied on the major instrument
- MM in Vocal Performance or Pedagogy
- Audition on the major performing instrument, either at UND or by recording of a recent live performance
- Evidence of two years satisfactory study of French, German, or Italian, and knowledge of the diction of all three
- List of vocal repertoire studied
- MM in Conducting
- DVD of a recent performance with you conducting, preferably from the singer's vantage point
- If possible, an additional rehearsal segment
- List of repertoire conducted
- MM in Composition
- A representative sample of compositions
Submit your Application Materials:
- Send the Supplemental Materials to the Music Department Address below. Please provide a cover letter with your materials that includes the following information
- Your proposed major
- Year and semester of entry
- What materials are included in the mailing
- The date that you completed your application to the School of Graduate Studies, or the current status of your application.
- Mail your application materials to:
Attn: Graduate Application Materials
Department of Music
Hughes Fine Arts Center, Room 110
3350 Campus Rd, Stop 7125
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7125
- Applicants with completed applications by March 1 will receive priority consideration for financial aid.
- Application by the deadline is advantageous when seeking tuition waivers and/or Graduate Teaching Assistantships.