- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
- English Minor
- Linguistics Minor
- Certificate in Writing & Editing
- English+ Career Opportunities
- Admission Requirements
- How to Apply
- Degree Requirements
- Graduate Courses
- Teaching Assistantships
- English Graduate Student Association
How to Apply
All applications must be completed online via the School of Graduate Studies.
The deadline for both master's and doctoral applications has been extended to March 15 for full consideration of admission and possible appointment as a graduate teaching assistant for the following academic year. Applications received after this date will still be considered; please ask the graduate director for details.
The English Graduate Committee typically meets after the deadline to review applications and notifies applicants of admission decisions by late March.
The School of Graduate Studies defines a complete application as one that contains a statement of purpose (this is the same as the personal statement; you do not need both), three letters of recommendation, all official transcripts, and the official GRE scores (general test only). Applications will not be forwarded to the department for review until complete. In addition, you will need to submit the following materials in support of your graduate application:
- A writing sample of 10-15 pages, written for a course or not, that represents your best work. Your writing sample should demonstrate the best of your intellectual abilities and/or creative work. We advise those students who send in a creative writing sample to also include a short analytical piece that will help us evaluate your ability to handle graduate level academic work.
- For students seeking a Graduate Teaching Assistantship: It is preferred that you complete the GTA Application form. Otherwise, please submit a short statement outlining your reasons for wanting a Graduate Teaching Assistantship and tell us about any prior teaching-related experience.
If at any time you need assistance with your application or have questions about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.