- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
- Getting Started
- Major Requirements
- Minor Requirements
- Undergrad Courses
- Online BA
- Internship Program
- Internships & Jobs
Internships provide students with practical experiences in career settings. These experiences often allow interns to apply the knowledge gained through coursework to professional situations. Academic and practical instruction are vital parts of the education process and should complement and support each other.
Students planning an internship must remember that the employer invests time and effort supervising and training interns. Services of value are expected in return. The internship is a reciprocal arrangement: students exchange their work in return for on-the-job training, work experience and contacts. Students are expected to treat the internship as a job.
Students need to be approved by the Internship Coordinator, Desi Anderson, prior to starting an internship for credit.
- Students must be junior or senior status
- Students must have completed Comm 102, 103, 110, and 200
- Students must complete 150 hours to earn 3 credits needed for their major (50 hours = 1 cr, 100 hours = 2 cr)
- Students can earn up to 6 credits but no more than 3 credits in a semester
Students need to follow these steps once they have accepted an internship:
- Complete the student internship online form for the semester you are completing your internship (link to form is below)
- Report your internship through Career Connect- http://und.edu/student-life/careers/coop-internship.cfm
- Once you are logged in to Career Connect, go to the navigation bar on the left, under the heading "I Want To," click on "Report a Co-Op/Internship." Follow the directions on the screen, completing the required and/or applicable information
- Once you have reported your internship, an email will be sent to the student on how to submit their internship objectives through Career Connect
Once you have been approved, an email regarding your enrollment in Comm 497 will be sent to you by the Internship Coordinator, Desi Anderson.
Requirements for the internship course include:
- Reporting internship through Career Connect
- Objectives completed through Career Connect
- Timesheet with completed hours
- Evaluations completed by the internship supervisor and student
Internship Online Forms:
Deadline to submit Fall 2017 Student Internship Online Form is August 11.
Deadline to submit Spring 2018 Student Internship Online Form is January 2.
Deadline to submit Summer 2018 Student Internship Online Form is May 11.
If you are a student interested in an internship opportunity for Communication graduation requirement or are a business/organization with an internship opportunity please contact:
Desi Anderson, Undergraduate Academic Advisor & Internship Coordinator
Columbia Hall Rm 1000
Follow this link for jobs and internship opportunities in Communication