- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
Gas Chromatography Training
Several GCs and GC-MS instruments are available in Chemistry Department. Students interested in their use in the Chemistry department, UND are required to accomplish basic laboratory assignment. The independent work using material enclosed below is expected. To setup the training sessions contact Dr. Kubatova.
The assignment involves the use of a gas chromatograph with the flame ionization detector (GC-FID). Student will learn basics about the operation of Hewlett Packard (HP 5890) instrument with split/splitless injector. The student will learn about flow rates, splitless injection and optimization of temperature program.
Before the start of the lab assignment, student will need to prepare (hand written) answers to take-home test. The study materials are provided below or by request. In addition to providing written answers, the students should have knowledge of the content prior to the lab.
The lab takes usually minimum of 6 hours but it can be broken to several 3 h sessions.
Study materials and Tutorials
- Chromatography in general & Gas Chromatography
- Tutorial for calibration curve in Excel including excel example (2003)
- Tutorial for calibration curve in Excel including excel example (2007)
- Tutorial for LOD/LOQ Calculation
- Examples of flow and injection volume calculations
- Agilent flow calculator
- Flow calculator for Iphone
- Agilent method translation software
- Agilent GC maintenance videos