- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Give Now
- Faculty and Staff
- Program Overview
- Program Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Current Offerings
Dr. Marcia Mikulak
Ph.D., University of New Mexico, MA, University of New Mexico
Dr. Marcia Mikulak is an Associate Professor of Anthropology at University of North Dakota. She is a cultural anthropologist whose work specializes in the cultural constructions of childhood, human rights, violence, and identity. Her doctoral dissertation worked with street and working children in Curvelo, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Dr. Mikulak has published articles in peer-reviewed national and international journals and in the proceedings of international conferences, and has presented her research in numerous professional conferences both nationally and internationally.
In 2005 she received a $35,000 UND Seed Grant to assess the state of domestic violence in Grand Forks County in collaboration with the Community Violence Intervention Center (CVIC). Her work with Native American health includes working with the University of New Mexico's (UNM) Strong in Body and Spirit! Diabetes prevention program and with the UNM Center for Disease Control grant on teen smoking.
In addition, Dr. Mikulak is a Country Specialist with Amnesty International for Brazil. Her current fieldwork research includes work on the impact of 'race' and racism on street and working youth in Brazil, the Xukuru Indigenous tribe in Pernambuco, Brazil on land demarcations and human rights abuses, and with CVIC on the development of community programs to enhance and improve the life opportunities of domestic violence survivors. Her research with the Xukuru tribe in Pernambuco, Brazil was recently funded by a UND Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences grant. In the fall of 2009, Dr. Mikulak will be in Pernambuco, Brazil working with the Xukuru tribe on human rights as related to cultural rights, and documenting the social, economic, and legal marginalization of the Xukuru people, whose cacique (chief), Marcos Xukuru has been advocating for the social and political rights of his people. Recently, cacique Marcos Xukuru has been sentenced, by the state court, to ten years and four months in prison for his activism on behalf of his people.
In addition to her work as an anthropologist, Dr. Mikulak has been an accomplished concert pianist with degrees in music performance from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music and Mills College. She has a number of solo piano recordings to her credit.
PUBLICATIONS (Accepted & Published):
• 2012 Mikulak, Marcia. Ed. Introduction to Cultural Anthropology: A Reader Exploring Contemporary Problems. San Diego: Cognella Academic Publishing. In Progress
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia. The Symbolic Power of Color: Constructions of Race, Skin-Color and Identity in Brazil. Humanity and Society, 35(1)
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia. Music, Anthropology, and the Senses: Cognition for Social Change. Ethniscripts, 13.1
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia. The Political Economy of Everyday Life: Working Children in Curvelo, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 1, Issue 2. ISSN 1934-7227. On-line peer reviewed international electronic journal.
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia. Love and Suffering in Bom Jesus: Marileia as Favela Woman and Mother. Bulgarian Journal of American and Transatlantic Studies. #2/2007-02-10. On-line peer reviewed, international electronic journal.
Conference Proceedings Publications (Peer Reviewed)
• 2010 Mikulak, Marcia. "Music, Anthropology, and the Senses: Cognition for Social Change." Narrative Soundings: 3rd International Conference – Narrative Inquiry in Music and Education. University of Queensland, Australia. Nov. 24-27, 2010
• 2008 Mikulak, Marcia. "University of North Dakota's Department of Anthropology Community Based Social Action Research on Domestic Violence." Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities. Peer reviewed submission – invited presentation and publication in conference proceedings. January. ISBN# 1541-5899
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia and Sergio Gallo. Music, Anthropology, and Communication: Sensuality, Complex Cognition, and Social Change. Published in the Proceedings to the World Conference on Arts and Communication, São Paulo, Brazil. Copyright 2007, COPEC – Council of Researchers in Education and the Sciences. ISBN: 85-89120-51-1
Articles Submitted and/or in Progress for Peer-Reviewed Journal Publication
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia. "Indigenous Human Rights: Abuse and the Nation State in Brazil." Journal of Race and Ethnic Studies. To be submitted in the Spring of 2009. To be submitted in Spring 2009. (In progress)
Encyclopedia Articles – Peer Reviewed
• 2005 Mikulak, Marcia. Childhood in the Encyclopedia of Anthropology. H. James Birx, Ph.D., D. Sci., Editor. Encyclopedia of Anthropology, SAGE Publications, California USA. 2005. Pp. 495-498
Invited Book Reviews
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia. "White Kids Language, Race, and Styles of Youth Identity," Bucholtz, Mary. Invited book review for the Journal of Anthropological Research. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2011
• 2009 Mikulak, Marcia. Review of "Anthropology and Child Development: A Cross-Cultural Reader." Journal of Anthropological Research, invited book review. Edited by Robert A. LeVine and Rebecca S., Volume 66, Number 2
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia. Review of "Raising an Empire: Children in Early Modern Iberia and Colonial Latin America," Journal of Anthropological Research, Ed. By Ondina E. González and Bianca Premo. Invited book review. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press. Volume 64, Number 3
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia. Review of "Forsaken Females: The Global Brutalization of Women," Andrea Parrot & Nina Cummings American Anthropologist, invited book review. Boulder: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., Volume 109, Issue 3, 576-577.
• 2006 Mikulak, Marcia. Review of "Children's Places: Cross-Cultural Perspectives," Ed. by Karen Fog Olwig & Eva Gullǿv. Journal of Anthropological Research, invited book review. New York: Routledge. Volume 62, Number 3
• 2003 Mikulak, Marcia. Review of "Street Children in Kenya: Voices of Children in Search of a Childhood," Philip Kilbridge, Collette Suda, and Enos Njeru. Journal of Anthropological Research, invited book review: Westport, Connecticut: Bergin & Garvey. Volume 59, Number 3
• 2000 Mikulak, Marcia. "At Home in the Street: Street Children of Northeast Brazil," Tobais Hect. Invited book review for the Journal of Anthropological Research: Volume 55, Number 4
Invited Book Reviews – In Process
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia. "Childhood and Violence in the Western Tradition."
Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2010. Journal of Anthropological Research, invited book review. Brockliss and Heather Montgomery, Eds.
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia. "Everyday Ruptures: Children, Youth, and Migration in Global Perspective. Cati Coe, Rachel R. Reynolds,Deborah A. Boehm, Julia Meredith Hess, and Heather Rae-Espinoza. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press Peer-Reviewed Published Abstracts
• 2010 Mikulak, Marcia. "Music, Anthropology, and the Senses: Cognition for Social Change" Published Abstract in proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Narrative Inquiry in Music and Education - Session 3, Thursday November 25 @ 3:00 – 4:00. The University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
• 2009 Mikulak, Marcia. "Mitigating Domestic Violence Through Community Social Action Research: Survivors Initiating Life Changes and Community Transformation." Paper accepted for March 17 – 21 Society for Applied Anthropology 69th Annual Meetings. submission – invited presentation: Up-coming published abstract. (Peer reviewed)
• 2009 Mikulak, Marcia. "Symbolic Domains of Skin Color: Brazil's Embedded Historical Paradigmatic Racism." Paper accepted for up-coming January 9 – 12, Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities. Peer reviewed submission – invited presentation: Up-coming published abstract
• 2008 Mikulak, Marcia. "Pathways to Peace: Anthropology and Domestic Violence Survivor Social Action program for Community Peace" Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities (Peer reviewed)
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia. "Anthropology and Communication: Sensuality, Complex Cognition, and Social Change. International World Congress on Communication and the Arts, São Paulo, Brazil." Plenary Session ISBN: 85-89549-47-X (Peer Review)
• 2007 Mikulak, Marcia. Domestic Violence Assessment and Survivor Empowerment Research Collaborative. Crossroads II – Community-Based Collaborative Research for Social Justice. Hartford, CT. (Peer Reviewed)
• 2006 Mikulak, Marcia. "Grand Forks, North Dakota – Small City, Rural State: Collaborative Research for a Greater Community Response to Domestic Violence." 12th National Conference on Domestic Violence: National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Atlanta Georgia – CNN Center. (Peer Reviewed)
• 2006 Mikulak, Marcia. "Brazilian Favela Youth in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil: What's the Meaning of the Color of Your Skin?" 105thAmerican Anthropological Association Meetings, San Jose, CA. ISBN-13: 978-1931303323 (Peer Reviewed)
2005 Mikulak, Marcia. "Street Children of Curvelo, Minas Gerais, Brazil: Political Economy of Everyday Life" 104th American Anthropological Association Meetings, Washington, DC. ISBN-13: 978-1-931303-25-5 (Peer Reviewed)
2001 Mikulak, Marcia. "Performance and Vulnerability: Street and Working Youths' Stories," 101stAnnual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association Meetings in Washington, DC. Visual Anthropology of the Senses Panel. ISBN-13: 978-9991251523 (Peer Reviewed)
1999 Mikulak, Marcia. "The Social Construction of Disposable Children: Street and Working Children in Brazil," 97th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association Meetings, Philadelphia. Boundaries of Bodies, Spaces of States Panel. ISBN-13: 978-9999803304 (Peer Reviewed)
• 2009 Mikulak, Marcia. Amnesty International – Analysis of the "US Department of State Report – Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, Brazil 2009." December
• 2008 Mikulak, Marcia. Amnesty International – Analysis of the "US Department of State Report – Country Reports on Human Rights Practices – Brazil 2007," Released by the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, March 11
• 2003 Heaven, P.C.L., Hebert, D.M., Hecht, M.L., Hedeker, D., Heeren, T. Helitzer, D.,Metzler, C.W., Mezzich, A.C., Michell,L. Migneault, J.P., Mikulak, M. Published on Robert Wood Johnson Foundation website. Grants Reports Lists Activities, "Non-Smokers More Likely to Take Part in Extracurricular Activities"
• 2002 Mikulak, Marcia. New Mexico Department of Health, Public Health Division, Injury Prevention and Emergency Medical Services Bureau, "An Assessment of Domestic Violence and Sexual Violence in the State of New Mexico. CDC Grant #U17/CCu619387-02. Report Distributed to all Key Stakeholders
• 1997 Davis, Sally (PhD); Allen, P; Shorty, L.; Wilson, C. Helitzer, D; Ingraham, L; Mason, C.; Mikulak, M. "Rural New Mexico Teens' Views on Tobacco: Summary Report of Findings from a Qualitative Study." University of New Mexico, Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia (Amnesty International Brazil Country Specialist). On-Line Urgent Action – Brazil – Protect Smallholders from Violence in Tocantins, Northern Brazil. 6-6-11 (online Amnesty International Urgent Action Request)
• 2011 Mikulak, Marcia (Amnesty International Brazil Country Specialist) On-Line Urgent Action – NGO Staff Threatened with Death in Brazil. 8-2-11 (online Amnesty International Urgent Action Request)
• 2011 Amnesty International Brazil Co-Group Newsletter: Brazil's Indigenous and Traditional Peoples Continue to Struggle for their Constitutional Rights to Traditional Lands and Land Reform Legislation. July 29, 2011
• 2008 University of North Dakota Seed Grant: Final Report – Assessment of Domestic Violence in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
• 2008 Brazil: In Brazil's Lawless Shanty-Towns, Women Face Devastating Toll of Violence." Amnesty International USA Press Release, 4/19/08
• 2008 "Swastikas anger and alarm us all." Grand Forks Herald - 05/23/2008. Gregory Gordon, Paul Sum, and Marcia Mikulak
• 2008 "Another Swastika Found on the UND Campus." 5/4/08. The Bismarck Tribune
• 2004 Crandall, Cameron (MD); Deborah Helitzer (Sc.D), La Valley, J; Mohahan, C; Worthington; Mikulak, M. An Impact Evaluation of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner's (SANE) Program in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Web publication.
• 2003 Mikulak, Marcia. Kurzmeldungen 2003 Elektronischer Übersetzer von Kleinkindgeschrei: Technik statt Bonding. 8-8-03
• 1996 Mikulak, Marcia. Frieda Butler Award Lecture: Excerpts, in yefief: The Force of Good, Book 3, New Mexico: Images for Media
• 1995 Mikulak, Marcia. "Street Children in Rio de Janeiro" Las Noticias Estudiantiles. Vol. xii No.4, March 1995, p. 3-5
• 1995 Mikulak, Marcia. "The Social Construction of Disposable Children: Street Children in Brazil" Encuentros, Vol. I, No. 2 May
• 1994 Mikulak, Marcia. "Learning Disabilities: A Biological Response to Our Cultural Paradigm" in New Perspectives, Vol. 8, No. 3
• 1987 Mikulak, Marcia. "Santa Fe Research: Children's Experimental Music" in Experimental Musical Instruments, Vol. III, No. 3