- Areas of Study
- About A&S
- Faculty & Staff
- Cultural Initiatives
- Research Initiatives
- Committee Members
- Student Appeals
- Resources & Infrastructure
- Tenure, Reappointment & Promotions
Faculty Grant Writing Initiative
The Faculty Grant Writing Initiative is an effort to support external grant proposal development projects within the UND College of Arts & Sciences through course releases.
In accordance with the College’s Strategic Plan, a pool of funds has been set aside to provide faculty with release time for grant writing. Requests for course releases should be made in accordance with department or program policies and in close consultation with the department chair or program director. Faculty at all stages of their career are encouraged to apply. Collaborative grant writing efforts involving two Arts & Sciences faculty members working on the same proposal will be considered.
Successful applicants are required to submit an external grant proposal within nine months of the end of the course release. The grant period is the 2017-18 Academic Year, but the course releases are for one semester only (i.e., either Fall 2017 or Spring 2018). The deadline to apply is November 18, 2016 (see detailed timeline below). Applications must include a letter of support from the department chair or program director.
Word version of A&S Faculty Grant Writing Initiative
Review helpful Grant Writing Tips
- Faculty members from any College of Arts & Sciences department or program can apply. Applications to fund two A&S faculty members to work on the same external grant proposal are allowed. Collaborative proposals with UND faculty from other colleges or institutions are also allowed, although funding through this program will support UND College of A&S faculty only.
- Although these awards are primarily intended for tenured and tenure-track faculty in A&S, temporary faculty can apply as long as research/creative activity is required by their UND contract and they will complete their proposed activity and submit their external grant proposal while employed at UND.
- Departments and programs can submit multiple proposals. If more than one proposal is submitted, the department chair/program director is required to rank the proposals and to justify his/her rankings in writing when the proposals are submitted to the College.
- Proposals that fail to follow the guidelines outlined in this document will be denied.
- Cover sheet: Project title, faculty names and affiliations, faculty ranks, and original copies of faculty and department chair signatures. Please indicate the semester during with the release is being requested.
- Proposal summary (2 pages maximum)
- Summarize the proposed research.
- What external funding agency or foundation is the target? If applicable, what specific agency program will the proposal go to? What is the submission deadline?
- Abbreviated Academic Résumé/Curriculum Vitae(2 pages maximum): The résumé/CV should include education, employment history, and most relevant citations (e.g., publications, presentations, performances, juried exhibitions).
- Letter of support from the department chair or program director.
Award Selection Criteria
Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee within the College of Arts & Sciences will review and score proposals and make recommendations to the Dean, who will award funding.
Reviewers will be asked to evaluate and rank applications according to the following criteria:
- The promise of quality of the applicant's work;
- The quality of the conception, organization, and description of the project; and
- The likelihood that the project will result in external funding.
All recipients of Faculty Grant Writing Initiative awards are required to submit an external grant proposal within nine months of the end of the course release.
Deadline and Submission of Proposals
Nov. 18, 2016: Proposals are due to the A&S Dean’s Office in MS Word or PDF format. Please submit to Carrie Jackson via email at: email@example.com. In the email subject line, please type “Grant Writing Fund.” Members of the Resources and Infrastructure Committee will review and score the proposals and make recommendations to the Dean. The final decision on awards are made by the Dean.
Dec. 16, 2016: Awards are announced.
Aug. 16, 2017: Start of the award period.
May 31, 2017: End of the award period.
Please direct questions to Brad Rundquist, A&S Administrative Fellow for Research, at 777-4589 or firstname.lastname@example.org .